Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Leaves of grass

I have said that the soul is not more than  the body.
And I have said that the body is not more than  the soul,
And nothing, not God, is greater to one than one’s-self is,
And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his own funeral, dressed in his shroud,
And I or you pocketless of dime may purchase the pick of the earth,
And to glance with an eye or show a bean in its pod confounds the learning of all times,
And there is no trade or employment but the young man following it may become a hero,
And there is no object so soft but it makes a hub for the wheeled universe,
And any man or woman shall stand cool and supercilious before a million universes.

And I call to mankind, Be not curious about God.
For I who am curious about each am not curious about God,
No array of terms can say how much I am at peace about God and about death.
       
Why  should I wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God in each hour of twenty-four, and each moment then
          
In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass;
I find letters from God dropped in the street, and every one is signed by God’s name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that others will punctually come forever and ever.
Walt Whitman

1 comment:

  1. This poem, from the book with the same name, are a explotion of the genius of Withman, the easy style and the strong conviction of the constitution of universe are installed in the mind of reader. The message are simple, try to go away, dont worry about the magnificent universe, live with her and feel the melody of changes, create our future, thinking in love, the humility and the focus to grow up, forgive, and believe.

    ReplyDelete